Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mountains

The past month has been a difficult one.  I've been away from home on an elective rotation, meaning that, not only have I been dealing with the stress of a new place, new people, and new medicine, I've been doing so without the benefit of my usual support people.  Although the work has been interesting and the medical staff very supportive of me, it has felt like a very long and hard month.

Thankfully, the end of the month brought with it a conference in the Rocky Mountains, which is pretty much my favourite place in the world.  The girlfriend was able to join me for the conference, so she had a few days to enjoy Banff while I listened to talks and shmoozed with other physicians.  And now that the conference is over, we have six days (four left) to explore Japser and to visit some family in rural Canada.

The drive from Banff to Jasper was absolutely spectacular.  I've done the drive at least seven times now, and it never ceases to amaze me.  Every time I make the drive, I pull over multiple times to take the same photos that I've taken before, because I can't resist the views.
 

One of many photos I've taken of Castle Mountain from the same viewpoint.  
I also have this photo in summer!  And fall!

Since our arrival in Jasper, we've been doing a lot of relaxing and a lot of eating.  We tried unsuccessfully to go on hikes to Mount Edith Cavell (road closed for winter) and Maligne Canyon (paths were deadly skating rinks due to recent melting), and then resigned ourselves to staring at the mountains through our hotel window while lounging in front of the fireplace.  It's a hard life.


 The glacier at Lake Louise.


People who have trouble following signs.


The breathtaking Columbia Icefields.  
Someday I'll have time to actually take a tour out onto the glacier.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I've never seen the glacier looking that bare this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had fun exploring my home lands! I'm so exited to go away for March break...to Calgary! (But really, my roots are firmly somewhere between Nelson and Medicine Hat).

    ReplyDelete