Friday, November 24, 2017

When Other People Screw Up

Once a month or so, I do an extra Friday afternoon clinic in a different location from my usual clinics.  It involves rushing out as soon as my morning clinic ends, driving 45 minutes across the city, and generally arriving 10-15 minutes late at the second clinic.  It isn't my favourite thing in the world, but it is necessary for a whole bunch of reasons, so I just suck it up and do it.

Today was one of those days.  When I was about halfway between locations, I got a call from the second clinic.

"Did you forget that you had a clinic today?"

"Uhh...no.  It's 12:55.  I'll be there in 15-20 minutes like usual."

"Oh.  Uhhh...there are patients here for you."

I didn't think much of it until I arrived at the clinic to find eight patients already waiting for me.  It turns out, for reasons that are unclear to me, the clerk had booked my clinic starting at 12:30.  Even though I've been doing this for over two years, and I never arrive before 1 PM.

Gaaaaaahhhh!!!

And this is just the end of a week of screw ups.  Misplaced requisitions, incomplete tasks, and other things done wrong.  It is driving me nuts.  We're professionals working in a healthcare setting - just do things right people!  I do not have the time to double check everything you are doing to make sure you're doing it correctly.

/end rant

Thankfully, my patients are all lovely, and I didn't have a single complaint despite being over an hour behind at the end.  But I just wish that I didn't have to be the person who is ultimately held responsible for everything, including the incompetence of others.

Have a great weekend everyone.  It's time for a book and some popcorn.  And wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment